Entertainment news

Fayose clears the air on reports that he ignored request to help bring Moji Olaiya’s corpse back home

By  | 
Story highlights
Fayose

Ekiti State governor, Ayo Fayose, has moved to clarify his position following reports that he had ignored the request of late Moji Olaiya‘s family for the government to foot the air-freight of her body from Canada.

Fayose’s media aide, Lere Olayinka in a statement, claimed that online reports saying that Fayose promised to fund the movement of Moji Olaiya’s from Canada to Nigeria, were false.

READ: Tinubu offers to pay for the return of her Moji Olaiya’s corpse to Nigeria

‘No official request has been made to the government in respect of the burial,’ he said.

Olayinka, described the claims as irresponsible, as a certain Olukayode Salako wrote on social media that Fayose declined a request to assist with the flying of Moji Olaiya’s corpse to Nigeria.

Moji Olaiya died on May 18

‘It is totally irresponsible on the part of the said Olukayode Salako, who is said to be the husband of actress, Foluke Daramola to have taken to online media to disparage the person of the governor when even family members and genuine friends of the deceased are mourning her and seeking means of according her a befitting burial.’

The governor’s spokesperson, who maintained that there was no official communication between the governor and Moji Olaiya’s family, further said, ‘On Thursday, last week, I was contacted on phone by a journalist friend, Yomi Fabiyi on the need for the Ekiti State Government to assist in raising a sum of $15,000 needed to bring Moji Olaiya’s corpse to Nigeria.

‘On Friday, I informed the Chief of Staff to the governor, Chief Dipo Anisulowo of my telephone conversation with Yomi Fabiyi, and my response that official letter should be written to the governor.

ALSO: Faithia Balogun to lead Moji Olaiya’s funeral committee

‘Up till today, the letter has not been sent and as such, no official request has been made to the State Government.

‘When my attention was drawn to online publication that Governor Fayose had elected to fund the flying of the deceased corpse to Nigeria, I called the journalist who did the report and told him pointedly that no such decision was taken by the governor.

‘It was on the strength of this that Mr Yomi Fabiyi issued a press statement on behalf of the Burial Committee, stating that no request had been made to the government of Ekiti State and the official letter requested was yet to be sent.

‘It therefore beats our imagination that certain characters like Olukayode Salako could take to the online media to make derogatory comments on the governor, purportedly on behalf of the family.

‘While we condole with the Olaiya family of Ijesha Isu Ekiti, Moji Olaiya’s friends, fans and colleagues in the movie industry, we wish to advise that the family should saddle only responsible people with the task of according their daughter a befitting burial,’ Olayinka wrote.

Nigeria News.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *